What is the screed, of this current day?
Watching George Bush vacillate.
I thought I’d enjoy it. I thought it would be the peculiar enjoyment, the schadenfreude, of watching someone I dislike show up their own incompetence. But it only made me mad.
Let’s avoid the details, because they really only cloud the issue. The bones of it lie as thus: a White House individual leaked information that outed a CIA agent. Leaving aside the mess of motives (which include an implied attempt to discredit critics of the ‘Invasion of Iraq’ passport, the elusive WMDs) Bush has, in his ideology-peppered speeches, has said that the leak was actually intentional. He leaked it, or rather in a wonderful sense of historical revisionism, says that he declassified it, because he thought the American Public had a right to know.
Now, correct this crazy canuck if he’s wrong, but I was under the impression that the White House had a fairly robust press corps, that are usually at the President’s beck and call. Hell, even if he doesn’t want to say something in an actually press release, he can toss it into the many speeches that are given at the many events he attends.
Is it illegal to accuse the president of lying? Or to openly criticize? I’m still waiting for the worldwide, ‘oh, come on! You can’t expect us to believe that, can you?’ But it never seems to come. I suppose, along with the screed, I’ve got a demand for the press of the world: call this out. Don’t meekly parrot what you record or videotape, but actually examine. Investigate. Bring back the stereotype of the hard-nosed reporter, looking for a great story. This is a great story, an American political farce, just waiting to be snapped up. Be brave.